Choosing a treatment facility is a big decision for the individual and family. Each treatment facility will offer different resources and programs. Listed below are questions that should be considered by individuals and families when seeking out treatment:
Admission Criteria and Insurance
- What insurance do you take? Is there a deductible?
- How long is your program?
- What levels of care do you offer? A level of care refers to the type of treatment someone offers/receives. The levels of care for Pennsylvania are: Detox, Inpatient drug and alcohol treatment, outpatient drug and alcohol treatment and outpatient drug and alcohol treatment.
- Do you accept individuals on Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) (e.g. methadone, buprenorphine, naltrexone)?
- What are your admission criteria?
- Where are you located and is transportation provided?
For individuals that are pregnant, it is important to know the following:
- Do you accept pregnant women?
- Do you do the conversion for pregnancy?
- What form of MAT does your facility for pregnant women?
- What pregnancy specific treatment is offered?
- How far along will you accept individuals who are pregnant?
Other Important Information
- What am I able to bring to treatment?
- If I have medications, am I able to bring the bottle of medication or do I need to bring the prescription? Will refills be honored, or will the prescribing doctor need to order refills?
- What if I have a mental health or physical health concern?
- Am I able to bring cigarettes?